OTC-011 Off The Cuff ~Sewing Style~: Shirt with Chevron Pocket...and Bias Details <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://draft.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10604511\x26blogName\x3dOff+The+Cuff+++++++++~Sewing+Style~\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8803809636534965068', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

8/04/2010

Shirt with Chevron Pocket...and Bias Details


This shirt is one of my original designs, 
and is made from cotton seersucker fabric. 

Sometimes working with seersucker fabric sucks is not easy. This particular seersucker fabric was a challenge because it was quite loosely woven, and because I chose to add bias details to this design. So I needed a way to reinforce them properly. Luckily, I was able to stabilize the bias details on the front button placket and sleeve bands with one of the custom-milled Interfacings I developed...a very light and flexible interfacing that can be applied with lower heat settings, PRO-SHEER Elegance Fusible Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply.  My client wanted a casual shirt that would look slightly "crushed" and that would be very lightweight and comfortable to wear. The unique features of PRO-SHEER Elegance Interfacing made it possible to control the bias without making it stiff.  If I had used  virtually any other interfacing, the bias bands would have prevented the sleeves from draping naturally, and the shirt would have lost the soft casual look I wanted for my client.

Here is a close-up of the Chevron Pocket, Bias Button Placket, and Bias Sleeve Bands. I apologize for the quality of the photos...I really need a new camera :)
CLICK PICTURES TO ENLARGE and see more detail.


Labels:

What do you think? Please add a comment by clicking here-->

8 Comments:

Anonymous Karen Witcombe said...

Beautiful job Pam - I love the chevron pocket. How did you match the angle so perfectly?

6:04 PM  
Blogger meredithp said...

A very handsome shirt! Makes me feel cooler just by looking at it. I love the use of stripes in creative ways. Thanks for th inspiration!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Theresa in Tucson said...

Lovely shirt. I need to get some of that interfacing. That may be just what I need for the rayon dress I'm making. I like that pocket!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Tania said...

Hello Pam. I admire the beautiful shirts you sew and am a shirt fanatic myself and try making shirts for myself. My efforts are not as beautiful as yours but with each new shirt I learn something new and I have found your tutorials very very useful - I need to learn drafting skills! May I ask a question?
I note you have complimented Island Sewing for their Men's Classic Sports Shirt and I wondered if you had an opinion on their Women's Classic Sports Shirt as I am looking for a pattern to make the "classic white shirt" from. The shirt which will go perfectly with jeans and have a relaxed by tidy look. I would rate my skills higher than beginner but I often have to redo collars as so many patterns never seem to line up properly for me - it is probably me although I take much care in cutting and pinning.

A quick opinion of yours would be greatly valued. Cheers

2:19 AM  
Blogger Summerset said...

I love it. That is such a smart way to deal with the bias and still have a nice looking shirt, wash after wash.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Pam Erny said...

Hi Tania..I have nevr made any of the women's Islander Shirts..but have had fabulous luck with shirt patterns from,
Brensan Shirt Club Patterns

I have made several...

Barcelona Shirt

Sew Simple Shirt

Blue Long Sleeve Sew Simple Shirt

Hope this helps :)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Pam Erny said...

Hi Karen...I will show how I make a "perfect" chevron pocket in another blog post soon :)

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Tania said...

Thanks Pam. I shall give them a try and perhaps try the Islander as well and let you know. Cheers

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Site Meter